Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
Chemical Engineer is on the Medium & Long Term Strategic Skills List which opens several visa pathways for Migrating to Australia. Every occupation on the MLTSSL and STSOL is assigned an immigration code and the code for those looking to migrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer is 233111. This is also known as the ANZSCO Code for a Chemical Engineer.
According to the ANZSCO definition, a Chemical Engineer designs and prepares specifications for chemical process systems and the construction and operation of commercial-scale chemical plants, and supervises industrial processing and fabrication of products undergoing physical and chemical change
According to the ANZSCO Classification Schedule, the code for Chemical Engineer contains the following Migration Groups and Sub Groups
- Major Group: 2 – Professionals
- Sub-Major Group: 23 – Design, Engineering, Science and Transport Professionals
- Minor Group: 233 – Engineering Professionals
- Unit Group: 2331 – Chemical and Materials Engineers
Tasks for Chemical Engineers Moving to Australia include
- preparing designs for chemical process systems and planning control systems for processes such as those used to remove and separate components, effect chemical changes,
- test and evaluate fuels, transfer heat, and control the storing and handling of solids, liquids and gases
- monitoring the operation and maintenance of equipment to achieve maximum efficiency under safe operating conditions
- ensuring correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications
- diagnosing malfunctions in chemical plants and instituting remedial action
- studying product utilization and pollution control problems
- reviewing plans for new products and submitting material selection recommendations in accordance with design specifications and factors such as strength, weight and cost
- planning and implementing laboratory operations to develop new materials and fabrication procedures for new materials to fulfill production cost and performance standards
- conferring with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers, during the investigation and evaluation
- reviewing product failure data and implementing laboratory tests to establish or reject possible causes, and advising on ways to overcome any problems
Minimum qualifications required to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
Those looking to migrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer must demonstrate qualifications equivalent to a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances, relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Minimum work experience required to migrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
You need to have have over three years’ experience.
Am I eligible to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer?
Because the role of Chemical engineer is on the MLTSSL (Medium Long Term Strategic Skills List) you may be eligible for the following visa classes, depending on whether or not you can score a minimum of 65 Australian Immigration points.
Age Points to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
- Age 18 – 24 = 25 points
- Age 25 – 32 = 30 points
- Age 33 – 39 = 25 points
- Age 40 – 44 = 15 points
- Age 45 = Not eligible for skilled migration although may still be eligible for Permanent residency status via the TSS Visa.
English Language Ability to to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
- Good = 20 points
- Medium = 10 points
- Basic = 0 points
Work Experience Points to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
- 3 to 5 years = 5 points
- 5 to 8 years = 10 points
- 8 years + = 15 points
Qualification Points to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer
- PHD = 20 points
- Degree = 15 points
- Trade Qualification = 10 points
Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer: Qualifications Assessment
Every occupation, trade and profession have their own skills assessment body. It’s their job to say that you are who you say you are and that you have the right skills, experience and qualifications. In the case of ANZSCO Code 233111, the Australian Skills Assessment body for Chemical Engineer is Engineers Australia
Can my family join me on a skilled visa if I emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer?
Yes, with the added bonus that your partner may not even need to do a skills assessment in their own right for whatever occupation they hold. The rights and privileges afforded to the main visa holder are passed onto partners and children automatically.
Employer Sponsored Visas for a Chemical Engineer Australia
Chemical Engineer is on the MLTSSL for Australia which means it’s eligible for the TSS Employer Sponsored Visa and whilst this visa is initially classed as temporary it can convert to fill Permanent Residency Status after three years.
Occupation Ceilings for Chemical Engineer Australia Migration
Occupation ceilings dictate how many skilled visas are issued to applicants in a particular year. The occupation ceiling for Chemical Engineer immigrating to Australia is 1000.
190 State Nomination for Chemical Engineers
Australian States and Territories currently offer their weight to the 190 Visa class for Chemical Engineers emigrating to Australia:
New South Wales
Do I need a job to Emigrate to Australia as a Chemical Engineer?
The 189 visa class does not require a formal job offer although some States and Territories do require this for the 190 subclass.
Opportunities for chemical engineers in Australia
Chemical engineers in Australia have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including mining, energy, oil and gas, food and beverage, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing. Some of the common roles that chemical engineers hold in Australia include:
- Process Engineer: Designing, developing, and optimizing industrial processes for the production of chemicals, fuels and other products.
- Project Engineer: Managing and overseeing projects related to the design, construction, and commissioning of chemical plants and equipment.
- Production Engineer: Ensuring that manufacturing processes are operating efficiently, safely and at the required level of quality.
- Environmental Engineer: Developing and implementing solutions to environmental issues related to chemical manufacturing and production.
- Research and Development Engineer: Conducting research to develop new products, technologies and processes in the chemical industry.
- Quality Assurance Engineer: Ensuring that products and processes meet quality standards and regulatory requirements.
In addition to these roles, chemical engineers in Australia may also work in academia, consulting or government agencies. Australia offers a favorable environment for chemical engineers due to the country’s strong economy and abundant natural resources. There is a demand for skilled engineers in Australia and the country offers a high quality of life with attractive salaries and benefits.
Average Salary in Australia for a Chemical Engineer
- Average Salary for Chemical Engineer in Australia is $3597.90 per week or $187,091 per year.
What are the highest and lowest paying jobs for chemical engineers in Australia?
The salary for chemical engineers in Australia can vary depending on the specific industry. However, these are the highest and lowest paying jobs for chemical engineers in Australia:
Highest paying jobs for Chemical Engineers in Australia
- Oil and Gas Engineer: In the oil and gas industry, chemical engineers can earn high salaries due to the complex and hazardous nature of the work. According to PayScale, the average salary for a chemical engineer in the oil and gas industry in Australia is AU$124,000 per year.
- Senior Process Engineer: Experienced chemical engineers with expertise in process engineering can earn high salaries in this role. The average salary for a Senior Process Engineer in Australia is AU$130,000 per year according to PayScale.
- Engineering Manager: In this leadership role, chemical engineers can earn high salaries by managing teams of engineers and overseeing complex projects. The average salary for an Engineering Manager in Australia is AU$146,000 per year, according to PayScale.
Lowest paying jobs for Chemical Engineers in Australia
- Graduate Engineer: As with many professions, entry-level positions for chemical engineers tend to pay lower salaries than more experienced positions. The average salary for a Graduate Engineer in Australia is AU$60,000 per year, according to PayScale.
- Process Technician: While chemical engineers may oversee process technicians, these positions tend to pay lower salaries. The average salary for a Process Technician in Australia is AU$65,000 per year.
- Quality Control Technician: While important to ensuring product quality, quality control technicians tend to earn lower salaries. The average salary for a Quality Control Technician in Australia is AU$67,000 per year.
Timeframe to emigrate to Australia as a chemical engineer
- Skill Assessment: Before you can apply for a skilled visa, you will need to have your qualifications and work experience assessed by the relevant authority. For chemical engineers, this would be Engineers Australia. The timeframe for this assessment can take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks.
- Expression of Interest: Once you have your skills assessed, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the SkillSelect system. This is an online platform where you can provide information about your skills, qualifications, and work experience. If you meet the minimum eligibility criteria, you will be entered into a pool of candidates who may be invited to apply for a skilled visa.
- Invitation to Apply: If you receive an invitation to apply, you will have 60 days to submit a complete application for a skilled visa. The processing time for this application can vary depending on the visa subclass and the workload of the processing office. The estimated processing time for the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa is 6 to 8 months.
- Visa Grant: If your application is successful, you will receive a visa grant and be able to move to Australia. Keep in mind that there may be additional requirements you need to meet after arriving in Australia, such as registering with a professional association or obtaining a state-specific license to work as a chemical engineer.
Cost to immigrate to Australia as a chemical engineer
- Skills Assessment: The cost of a skills assessment for chemical engineers through Engineers Australia is currently AUD $1,150 for a standard application.
- English Language Test: If English is not your native language, you will need to demonstrate your proficiency by taking an approved English language test. The cost of the test varies depending on the test provider and location, but can range from AUD $250 to $450.
- Visa Application: The cost of a skilled visa application for a chemical engineer can also vary depending on the visa subclass and the number of applicants included in the application. The application fee for a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa is AUD $4,045 for the primary applicant.
- Health Assessment: As part of the visa application process, you will need to undergo a medical examination to ensure that you meet the health requirements to enter Australia. The cost of this examination varies depending on the country and the medical provider, but can range from AUD $300 to $500.